Supp. File(s): Pernyataan Etika Publikasi & Hak Cipta
Determinants of household food security during the COVID-19 pandemic in Tulungagung, East Java
Food insecurity remains a significant problem in Indonesia, with severe levels of hunger, due to inadequate food consumption and poor quality. Since the COVID-19 pandemic, changes in the food system and possible income losses have threatened household food security in Indonesia. This study aims to assess the determinants of household food security during the COVID-19 pandemic. This descriptive-analytic research method with a cross-sectional study was conducted from May to July 2021. The sampling technique used random sampling to obtain two villages with 187 parents in Tulungagung, East Java. Data collection on sociodemographic characteristics, social assistance, the impact of COVID-19, coping strategies, and household food security used interview techniques via WhatsApp and telephone. Testing in this study used chi-square for bivariate analysis and multiple logistic Regression for multivariate analysis. The results showed that the prevalence of food insecurity in Tulungagung was 56,1%. After adjusting for several potential confounding factors, such as income (p= 0,021; OR= 2,388), type of social assistance (NGO) (p= 0,002; OR= 3,945), change in employment status (p= 0,044; OR= 2,026), and food compromise coping strategy (p= 0,008; OR= 10,134) are determinants of household food security. In conclusion, the determinants of household food security are income, change in employment status, type of social assistance (NGO), and food compromise coping strategies.
Keywords : Coping strategies, Food diversity, Food security, Social assistance
- Adams, E. L., Caccavale, L. J., Smith, D., & Bean, M. K. (2020). Food insecurity, the home food environment, and parent feeding practices in the era of COVID-19. Obesity, 28(11), 2056–2063. https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.22996
- Alhassan, A., & Kilishi, A. A. (2019). Weak economic institutions in Africa: a destiny or design? International Journal of Social Economics, 46(7), 904–919. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSE-12-2018-0651
- Arif, S., Isdijoso, W., Fatah, A. R., & Tamyis, A. R. (2020). Strategic review of food security and nutrition in Indonesia: 2019-2020 update. The SMERU Research Institute Jakarta, 12.
- Bappeda Tulungagung. (2015). Profil Kabupaten Tulungagung.
- Carducci, B., Keats, E. C., Ruel, M., Haddad, L., Osendarp, S. J. M., & Bhutta, Z. A. (2021). Food systems, diets and nutrition in the wake of COVID-19. Nature Food, 2(2), 68–70. https://doi.org/10.1038/s43016-021-00233-9
- CBPP. (2021). Tracking the COVID-19 economy's effects on food, housing, and employment hardships. Center on Budget and Policy Priorities (CBPP). https://www.cbpp.org/research/poverty-and-inequality/tracking-the-covid-19-economys-effects-on-food-housing-and
- Das, S., Rasul, M. G., Hossain, M. S., Khan, A.-R., Alam, M. A., Ahmed, T., & Clemens, J. D. (2020). Acute food insecurity and short-term coping strategies of urban and rural households of Bangladesh during the lockdown period of COVID-19 pandemic of 2020: report of a cross-sectional survey. BMJ Open, 10(12), e043365. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2020-043365
- El Bilali, H., Callenius, C., Strassner, C., & Probst, L. (2019). Food and nutrition security and sustainability transitions in food systems. Food and Energy Security, 8(2), e00154. https://doi.org/10.1002/fes3.154
- FAO. (2013). Social protection. In Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). http://www.fao.org/policy-support/policy-themes/social-protection/en
- FAO. (2021). The state of food security and nutrition in the world 2021. In Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). https://policycommons.net/artifacts/1850109/the-state-of-food-security-and-nutrition-in-the-world-2021/2596732
- Farzana, F. D., Rahman, A. S., Sultana, S., Raihan, M. J., Haque, M. A., Waid, J. L., Choudhury, N., & Ahmed, T. (2017). Coping strategies related to food insecurity at the household level in Bangladesh. PLOS ONE, 12(4), e0171411. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0171411
- GAIN. (2020). COVID-19 is making it harder for vulnerable people to access healthy food. Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition. https://www.gainhealth.org/resources/reports-and-publications/covid-19-making-it-harder-vulnerable-people-access-healthy-food
- Goudie, S., & McIntyre, Z. (2021). A crisis within a crisis: The impact of covid-19 on household food security. In Food Foundation. https://foodfoundation.org.uk/publication/crisis-within-crisis-impact-covid-19-household-food-security
- Hamadani, J. D., Hasan, M. I., Baldi, A. J., Hossain, S. J., Shiraji, S., Bhuiyan, M. S. A., Mehrin, S. F., Fisher, J., Tofail, F., Tipu, S. M. M. U., Grantham-McGregor, S., Biggs, B.-A., Braat, S., & Pasricha, S.-R. (2020). Immediate impact of stay-at-home orders to control COVID-19 transmission on socioeconomic conditions, food insecurity, mental health, and intimate partner violence in Bangladeshi women and their families: an interrupted time series. The Lancet Global Health, 8(11), e1380–e1389. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2214-109X(20)30366-1
- Harris, J., Depenbusch, L., Pal, A. A., Nair, R. M., & Ramasamy, S. (2020). Food system disruption: initial livelihood and dietary effects of COVID-19 on vegetable producers in India. Food Security, 12(4), 841–851. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12571-020-01064-5
- ILO. (2020). Social protection responses to COVID-19 in Asia and the Pacific: The story so far and future considerations. In International Labour Organization (ILO). https://www.ilo.org/asia/publications/WCMS_753550/lang--en/index.htm
- Kundu, S., Banna, M. H. Al, Sayeed, A., Sultana, M. S., Brazendale, K., Harris, J., Mandal, M., Jahan, I., Abid, M. T., & Khan, M. S. I. (2021). Determinants of household food security and dietary diversity during the COVID-19 pandemic in Bangladesh. Public Health Nutrition, 24(5), 1079–1087. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980020005042
- Limi, M. A., Zani, M., & Selvi, S. (2021). Analysis of household food security of the Bajo Community in West Muna Regency during The COVID 19 pandemic. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 934(1), 12038. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/934/1/012038
- Moeenian, M., Khamseh, A., & Ghazavi, M. (2022). Social innovation based on collaboration between Government and nongovernmental organizations in COVID-19 crisis: evidence from Iran. Infectious Diseases of Poverty, 11(1), 13. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40249-021-00923-3
- Musemwa, L., Muchenje, V., Mushunje, A., Aghdasi, F., & Zhou, L. (2015). Household food insecurity in the poorest province of South Africa: level, causes and coping strategies. Food Security, 7(3), 647–655. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12571-015-0422-4
- Nguyen, P. H., Kachwaha, S., Pant, A., Tran, L. M., Ghosh, S., Sharma, P. K., Shastri, V. D., Escobar-Alegria, J., Avula, R., & Menon, P. (2021). Impact of COVID-19 on household food insecurity and interlinkages with child feeding practices and coping strategies in Uttar Pradesh, India: a longitudinal community-based study. BMJ Open, 11(4), e048738. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2021-048738
- Niles, M. T., Bertmann, F., Belarmino, E. H., Wentworth, T., Biehl, E., & Neff, R. (2020). The early food insecurity impacts of COVID-19. In Nutrients (Vol. 12, Issue 7, p. 2096). https://doi.org/10.3390/nu12072096
- Pérez-Escamilla, R., Cunningham, K., & Moran, V. H. (2020). COVID-19 and maternal and child food and nutrition insecurity: a complex syndemic. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 16(3), e13036. https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.13036
- Rohmi, M. L., Jaya, T. J., & Syamsiyah, N. (2021). The effects pandemic Covid-19 on Indonesia foreign trade. Jurnal Ekonomi, 26(2), 277–289. https://doi.org/10.24912/je.v26i2.750
- Sinharoy, S. S., Waid, J. L., Haardörfer, R., Wendt, A., Gabrysch, S., & Yount, K. M. (2018). Women's dietary diversity in rural Bangladesh: Pathways through women's empowerment. Maternal & Child Nutrition, 14(1), e12489. https://doi.org/10.1111/mcn.12489
- Sujoko, A. (2021). Tulungagung 2021: Mengendalikan pandemi, kunci pemulihan ekonomi (pp. 1–6). Badan Perencanaan Pembangunan Daerah tulungagung. https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.13979.49446
- Suryahadi, A., Al Izzati, R., & Suryadarma, D. (2020). The impact of COVID-19 outbreak on poverty: An estimation for Indonesia. The SMERU Research Institute, 12, 3–4.
- Susilawati, S., Falefi, R., & Purwoko, A. (2020). Impact of COVID-19’s pandemic on the economy of Indonesia. Budapest International Research and Critics Institute-Journal (BIRCI-Journal), 3(2), 1147–1156. https://doi.org/10.33258/birci.v3i2.954
- Tan, S. T., Tan, C. X., & Tan, S. S. (2022). Food security during the COVID-19 home confinement: A cross-sectional study focusing on adults in Malaysia. Human Nutrition & Metabolism, 27, 200142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hnm.2022.200142
- Tran, B. X., Nguyen, H. T., Le, H. T., Latkin, C. A., Pham, H. Q., Vu, L. G., Le, X. T. T., Nguyen, T. T., Pham, Q. T., Ta, N. T. K., Nguyen, Q. T., Ho, C. S. H., & Ho, R. C. M. (2020). Impact of COVID-19 on economic well-being and quality of life of the Vietnamese during the national social distancing. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 565153. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.565153
- UNICEF, UNDP, Prospera, S. (2021). Analysis of the social and economic impacts of COVID-19 on households and strategic policy recommendations for Indonesia. In United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
- UNICEF. (2020). UNICEF's social protection response to COVID-19: Strengthening social protection systems before, during and after crises. In United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). https://www.unicef.org/reports/unicef-social-protection-response-to-covid-19-2020
- WFP. (2021). The impact of COVID-19 on households in Nepal: Fifth round of mvam household livelihoods, food security and vulnerability survey 2021. In ReliefWeb. https://docs.wfp.org/api/documents/WFP-0000135636/download/
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.