Supp. File(s): Research Instrument
Milkfish nugget formulation with carrot and sweet corn modification towards nutritional status enhancement for underweight
Milkfish nugget is one of nutritionally dense processed with a practical presentation and generally liked by children. To enrich the nutritional content, the manufacture of nuggets is modified with the addition of vegetables including carrots and sweet corn. The modification of milkfish nuggets with carrots and sweet corn can be used as additional food for underweight toddlers This study aims to determine the effect of milkfish nuggets formulation with carrots and sweet corn modification. This research was a quasi-experiment with one group pre and post-test design. The sample was 37 with the total sampling method. The data was collected by observing the enhancement of toddlers’ nutritional status during 10 days. Data were analyzed by using a paired T-test with a 95% confidence interval. The results showed the bodyweight average increase after giving milkfish nuggets was 800 grams with an enhancement in nutritional from the average Z-score value of -1,95 through the bodyweight for age indicator. The milkfish nuggets formulation had a significant effect in enhancing the nutritional status of underweight toddlers (p-value 0,002). It is necessary to improve the quality of health programs especially regarding food intake for underweight toddlers to achieve the quality of the human development index.
Keywords : Malnutrition; nutritional status; supplementary feeding
- Adriani, & Vita. (2013). Feeding pattern for under five children with malnutrition status in East Java, West Java and Central Kalimantan, year 2011. Bulletin Penelitian Sistem Kesehatan, 16(2), 185-193.
- Coly, A. N., Milet, J., Diallo, A., Ndiaye, T., Bénéfice, E., Simondon, F., Wade, S., & Simondon, K. B. (2006). Preschool stunting, adolescent migration, catch-up growth, and adult height in young Senegalese men and women of rural origin. Journal of Nutrition, 136(9), 2412–2420. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/136.9.2412
- Dinas Kesehatan Langsa. (2019). The nutritional report of Langsa city in 2019.
- Donegan, S., Maluccio, J. A., Myers, C. K., Menon, P., Ruel, M. T., & Habicht, J. P. (2010). Two food-assisted maternal and child health nutrition programs helped mitigate the impact of economic hardship on child stunting in Haiti. Journal of Nutrition, 140(6), 1139–1145. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.109.114272
- Ibrahim, I. A. (2018). The influence of giving purple sweet potato crackers (ipomea batatas l potret) on the malnutritional status of the 12-36 month old toddlers at the working area of Somba Opu Public Helath Center. Jurnal Nasional Ilmu Kesehatan, 1(2), 1–15.
- Imelda, I., Rahman, N., & Nur, R. (2020). Risk Factor On Stunting Among Children Age 2-5 Years Old In Biromaru Center Public Health. Ghidza: Jurnal Gizi Dan Kesehatan, 2(1), 39–43. https://doi.org/10.22487/ghidza.v2i1.6
- Imra, I., Fadnan Akhmadi, M., & Maulianawati, D. (2019). Calcium and phosfor fortification of crackers by using milkfish bone (Chanos chanos). Jurnal Ilmiah Perikanan Dan Kelautan, 11(1), 49. https://doi.org/10.20473/jipk.v11i1.11911
- Irawati, A., Ruf, W., & Anggo, A. (2016). The effect of cooking duration time of fried self boned milkfish (Chanos chanos forsk) into lysine and dissolved protein content. Jurnal Pengolahan Dan Bioteknologi Hasil Perikanan, 5(1), 106–111.
- Jago, F. (2019). Pengetahuan ibu, pola makan balita, dan pendapatan keluarga dengan status gizi pada balita di wilayah kerja Puskesmas Danga Kecamatan Aesesa Kabupaten Nagekeo. Lontar: Journal of Community Health, 1(1), 16–22. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.35508/ljch.v1i1.2153
- Jevita. (2015). Underweight toddlers in Cukir Diwek Jombang community health center area. Ilmu Kebidanan, 1(2), 39–42.
- Karyanto, Y. (2011). The enhancement of protein cunsumption for early childhood education children trough formulation milkfish biscuits with vegetables (carrot and spinach) modification. Buana Pendidikan, 7(13), 37–44.
- Kemenkes RI. (2019). Regulation of the minister of health concerning recommended nutritional adequacy rates for Indonesian people (Vol. 8, Issue 5).
- Kemenkes RI. (2020). Minister Health Regulation No. 2 Of 2020 Concerning Children’s Anthropometry Standards.
- Kusumaningtyas, D. E., & Deliana, S. M. (2017). Pattern of feeding on nutritional status of age 12-24 months in working mothers. Public Health Perspective Journal, 2(2), 155–167.
- Lestari, N. D. (2016). Analysis of determinants underweight toddlers in Kulon Progo community health center area. Indonesian Journal of Nursing Practices, 1(1), 15–21. https://doi.org/10.18196/ijnp.1146
- Miko, A., & Al-Rahmad, A. H. (2017). Hubungan berat dan tinggi badan orang tua dengan status gizi balita di Kabupaten Aceh Besar. Gizi Indonesia, 40(1), 21–34. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.36457/gizindo.v40i1.222
- Ouédraogo, O., Raketa, E. W. C., Sabiba, E. K. A., & Dicko, M. H. (2019). Toddlers’ dietary diversity and its determinants in different agricultural periods. International Journal Of Nutrition Sciences, 4(3), 151–161. https://doi.org/10.30476/IJNS.2019.82283.1018
- Putri, R. F., Sulastri, D., & Lestari, Y. (2015). Factors Related To The Nutritional Status Of Underweight toddlers in Nanggalo, Padang community health center area. Jurnal Kesehatan Andalas, 4(1), 254–261. https://doi.org/10.25077/jka.v4i1.231
- Rahmawati, I., Utami, I., & Lestari, S. (2019). Factors associated with the incidence of underweight in toddlers aged 12-59 months in Srimartani village. In Universitas ’Aisyiyah. Universitas ’Aisyiyah.
- Septiani. (2014). Giving Effect of Food Supplement To Recovery in Children Less Nutrition Status of Changes in. Jurnal Riset Gizi, 2(2), 40–45.
- Siswanti, Anandito, R. B. K., & Fitri., A. (2017). The use of milkfish meat and bones (Chanos Chanos) on fish sticks as calcium and protein snacks. Jurnal Teknologi Hasil Pertanian, 10(1), 41–49. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.20961/jthp.v10i1.17492
- Sitepu, S. U. M. (2018). The utilization of milkfish (Chanos chanos forrskal), carrot and sweet corn in making nugget, nutritional content and acceptability. In Fakultas Ilmu Kesehatan Masyarakat. Univeritas Sumatra Utara.
- Sukoco, N. E. W., Pambudi, J., & Herawati, M. H. (2015). Relationship Between Nutritional Status of Children Under Five with Parents Who Work. Buletin Penelitian Sistem Kesehatan, 18(4), 387–397.
- Unicef. (2018). Improved intake to increase weight in children with malnutrition. Data.Unicef.Org. https://data.unicef.org/resources/improving-child-nutrition-the-achievable-imperative-for-global-progress/nutritionreport_april2013_final_29/
- Walker, S. P., Chang, S. M., Powell, C. A., Simonoff, E., & Grantham-McGregor, S. M. (2007). Early childhood stunting is associated with poor psychological functioning in late adolescence and effects are reduced by psychosocial stimulation. Journal of Nutrition, 137(11), 2464–2469. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/137.11.2464
- Yazid, M., Bastianudin, A., Saputra, T., Triatmojo, S., Pertiwiningrum, A., Perdana, D. A., Ebrianto, A. L., Sari, T. I., Sumatera, K., Darmanto, A., Soeparman, S., Widhiyanuriawan, D., Khaerunnisa, G., Rahmawati, I., Putri, A., Salahuddin, N. S., Gumay, M. G., Wisudawati, N., Gustiar, F., … Rahardjo, S. (2014). Analysis of omega 3,6,9 fatty acid and fenol content of smoke milk fish (Chanos chanos) with combining between smoking fireplace and irreplace smoking duration. Jurnal Teknologi Kimia Dan Industri, 2(1), 1–7.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.